In the spring 2010 semester at LTS, I’ll be teaching a new course: Violence and the Bible.
I first envisioned the course 5 years ago, as an extension of a course I already teach (Prophets of Divine Wrath: Nahum, Obadiah, and Malachi), work I’d done in my Nahum volume, and workshops I’d given in churches.
Now it’s time to give the course shape and select readings. So, I turn to readers with questions:
- Which violent biblical stories most deserve attention?
- What readings have been helpful to you as you consider biblical violence?
- What approaches to biblical violence do you find most helpful?
- What does this course just have to talk about?
- What concrete examples can you offer of the “spillover” of biblical violence into the world?
- What other questions should I be asking?